State Budget Newman’s War on Workers Sept 11 2012
- 14,000 jobs lost – reports of many being sacked by email or phone call.
- No new apprenticeships in QBuild
- Cuts to community services - such as the SES cadet program
- Rising unemployment – 6% by 2013
- Setting the scene for privatisation
- Cuts to frontline services - rural fire service resources, nurses, community health workers, employment program workers etc.
- Threats to Electrical Safety and Workplace Health and Safety funding and jobs -overhaul before parliament now.
Taking it to the streets Sept 12 2012
Resolution passed by applause at Southbank ETU mass meeting prior to the 10,000 plus rally.
We commit to support each other and campaign against the Newman Governments’ attack on workers, services and the community.
We oppose the Government’s plans to
- Cut Queensland jobs
- Remove vital support services
- Attack our Workers’ Compensation Service
- Change state laws to undermine our negotiated agreements
- Reduce the number of Workplace Health and Safety Inspectors
- Privatisation of State Owned Assets
- Changing the Workers’ Day (MAY DAY) to some insignificant day in October
Further we the members, resolve to empower our officials and delegates to develop strategies and campaigns to ensure we protect our State Owned Assets, and campaign vigorously to protect our current Workers’ Compensation scheme and restore May Day back to the 1st Monday in May.
For the most up to date information on all of these developments, log onto our Facebook Page www.facebook.com/etuqldnt